Monday, May 5, 2014

White Balance, Dancing, Sleeping Babies...Oh My!

Sometimes I have too many topics I want to write about and I can't choose just one, or none of them seem long enough for a post of it's own....as is the case today...so I've put them all into one.

Photography
Saturday morning I attended a photography class at a community college.  It was rather strange to get up and get ready to go to class...and on a Saturday of all days.  The class was specifically on White Balance (for you photography gurus).  This was a topic that I was struggling with understanding as I have been learning about photography.  Luckily my camera has an "auto white balance" button and I would just let it do it's thing.  The class was taught by the superintendent of the photography division of the Iowa State Fair.....great guy!!  I learned so much in those 3 hours...and we didn't even get to everything he wanted us to learn, which I was kind of glad about...my brain was too full!!  Without going into too much boring detail about white balance....here are 2 pictures I took at home to practice what I learned:



The first picture is how the camera interprets the color of the doll on its own (with the "auto white balance" turned on).  The second picture was taken after I told the camera what colors to use.  I know you can't see the doll in person to compare, but trust me...the second picture is 95% accurate of the actual colors of the doll!!!!  I am just amazed at how the camera interprets colors so much differently than the human eye.  I am so glad I took this class!!  However, taking the class made me realize just how much there is to learn yet!!  Oy! 


Dancin' the Night Away
My daughter LOVES to dance...she dances to any music, and sometimes just to her own singing!  I'm so glad about this, because Momma loves to dance too!!  Our small rural town had a dinner and dance Saturday night to raise money for the fire department.  I just knew this would be something I had to take Rylee to.  What I didn't realize was that she would be so comfortable dancing alone in the middle of the dance floor with 50 people watching her. 

We got there, just she and I, as the band was getting ready to start.  She kept asking "is it starting yet?"....I told her she would know when it was starting because she would hear the music ;)  As soon as the band played the first note of their first song, Rylee was pulling me out to the dance floor.  O.M.G!!!  I love to dance, but I don't always like to be the first one out there -- EEEEK!!!  I wasn't sure how I felt about 50 strangers watching me dance.  But I told myself, "I brought Rylee here, past her bedtime, for a reason...just do it!"  So she and I held up the dance floor for a few songs before a little boy and his daddy came out and joined us.  After about the 5th song, she told me to go sit down.  I think I was embarrassing her :)  So for the next 45 minutes she danced like nobody was watching, though I could see people pointing and talking about her (in a good way).  When they played a slow song and all of the couples went out to the floor, Rylee came and grabbed me and let me hold her while we slow danced :) :) :)  Glad she wasn't too embarrassed for that!!!  I did get a couple of other dances in with her too.  I sure hope it was the "funnest night ever", as she said it would be on our way there! 

Sleep Like a Baby
There just can't be anything cuter than a baby sleeping with his butt in the air!  James and I love to go peek in on Wyatt after he's asleep and see how he is laying.  No matter his position, my heart just melts when I see him sleeping in his crib.  I don't remember ever watching Rylee sleep....but I now wish I would have, because it just takes you away from crazy life and brings a feeling of joy and peacefulness.  It makes me so proud to be his momma...not that I'm not any other time, but I take the time to think about that when I'm watching him sleep.  I really want to take his picture while he's sleeping so I can view it later in life and remember that feeling I had while watching him....but for some reason I just can't bring myself to do it.  It's like watching him sleep is something sacred that I just want to keep in my brain and heart. 

May 6th ~ Special Day
Tomorrow my little dancing princess will be 3 years old!!  3 years old!!  How is that even possible??  Everyone tells you "they grow up so fast", and while I haven't really found that to be true, I still can't believe she is 3.  I signed her up for preschool for this fall and just couldn't believe she is old enough for that!  I mean, it definitely feels like 3 years have gone by since she was born, but the thought of a 3 year old is just hard to wrap my brain around. 

I'm super excited for her day tomorrow!! We have been counting it down for weeks now!!  She will wake up to balloons and presents...we will go to the park for a play date and picnic, and then a family party at a pizza place (her request).  I'm afraid she is going to be so disappointed when her special day is over...it's been all she has talked about for weeks.  At least we have a zoo date the following day :)  And then it's Grandpa's birthday Thursday and she is also excited to go celebrate with him!  We should have a fun week!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment